My antique booth partner, Crys, picked up this large metal panel at an antique fair a while back. After painting it and giving it an aged” wash, she gave it to me to frame.
A few months back, I had picked up trim pieces at Habitat Restore just because they were $2.50 each. Ten feet pieces of decorative trim. For $2.50! For the whole thing! Amazing I tell ya.
Anywho, back to the project… After measuring the tin panel, I used a miter saw and cut four pieces for trim. I attached the mitered corners together with wood glue and a pin nail gun.
Then I used a bit of wood putty to fill in the gaps. Once the wood putty was dry, I gave the whole frame a light sanding.
Then I used old brown paint (really old, I had to water it down!) to paint the wood frame. After a couple of coats, I was not happy with how it looked. I had black chalk paint out, (from another project I’m working on), so I decided to give that a try. I brushed a coat of the chalk paint on top of the brown paint, and it looks fabulous! Looks like stained wood, instead of painted. I love it.
To attach frame and the tin together, I used mirror hangers. Then I used a staple gun to add more support where the tin bowed out.
This is how it looks now, on my mantel. If the tin was mine, I’d keep it! But it’s going in our booth very soon. Very easy project and a one of a kind piece of art!