Posts by Laurie Hutchinson :
The tutorial for this headboard bench was my first blog post in 2011. Three and a half years ago. It was definitely time for a makeover!
This bench has been all around my house, never really finding a good resting place. It’s last stop was the front porch.
But after a good cleaning and sanding, I brought the bench inside the house to paint new life into it.
I used Americana Decor Chalky Paint in “Primitive” from Home Depot. Never tried this brand of chalk paint before, but it was less expensive than some, so I thought I’d give it a try.
I like it!
After the bench was painted, I decided to painted on words. (There’s never a plan with me!) I did it the easy way… I printed out the words using my ink jet printer.
Then, on the flip side of the printed words, I scribbled over the letters with a pencil.
Next, I taped the print down on the bench with green tape, then traced over the letters with a pen.
This left pencil markings on the bench to fill in with color. I did this using a small paintbrush and black paint.
Once the paint on the letters dried, I sanded over the words to give it a weathered, faded look. That’s it!
Am I ever REALLY done though? Nope. The bench needed a little something more, so I made a couple of envelope, reversible pillows in fabric that coordinated with the bench color. (Pillow Tutorial soon.) Now I may be done.
Okay now… do I keep it or sell it at the antique booth? My mind was set to repaint and sell, but now I don’t know!
My antique booth partner, Crys, picked up this large metal panel at an antique fair a while back. After painting it and giving it an aged” wash, she gave it to me to frame.
A few months back, I had picked up trim pieces at Habitat Restore just because they were $2.50 each. Ten feet pieces of decorative trim. For $2.50! For the whole thing! Amazing I tell ya.
Anywho, back to the project… After measuring the tin panel, I used a miter saw and cut four pieces for trim. I attached the mitered corners together with wood glue and a pin nail gun.
Then I used a bit of wood putty to fill in the gaps. Once the wood putty was dry, I gave the whole frame a light sanding.
Then I used old brown paint (really old, I had to water it down!) to paint the wood frame. After a couple of coats, I was not happy with how it looked. I had black chalk paint out, (from another project I’m working on), so I decided to give that a try. I brushed a coat of the chalk paint on top of the brown paint, and it looks fabulous! Looks like stained wood, instead of painted. I love it.
To attach frame and the tin together, I used mirror hangers. Then I used a staple gun to add more support where the tin bowed out.
This is how it looks now, on my mantel. If the tin was mine, I’d keep it! But it’s going in our booth very soon. Very easy project and a one of a kind piece of art!