Dr. Oz’s 3 Day Detox Cleanse

This will be an odd post for House of 34, but I wanted to share something I did this week.

Dr. Oz's 3-Day Detox Cleanse One-SheetI did the Dr. Oz’s 3 Day Detox Cleanse.  His website says “Eliminate harmful toxins, restore your system, and reset your body with this detox cleanse from Dr. Oz.  All you need is 3 days, a blender and $16 a day!”

It cost a little over $16.00 a day, but I think it was because some of the ingredients I needed came in large jars.  Some grocery stores may stock smaller sizes.  And if you do it with a friend and shop together, some of the ingredient you could split.

After being sick for a week, eating poorly, and just feeling tired and blah, I wanted to give this a try.  It’s all natural foods.  No dairy, no meat, no bread.  Just fruits, green veggies and different fats, like avocado, almond butter and coconut oil.  Oh, and you are supposed to take a detox bath at the end of the day.  I can do that. :D

So, here’s we go…

DAY ONE
Weighed myself in the morning and took a measurement of my waist.  Drank my morning green tea.  The morning smoothie was actually pretty good.  I was a little worried about the spinach in it, but it was barely noticeable.  So far so good.

Lunch smoothie.  Yuck.  All green veggies.  The apple and pineapple didn’t even make it better.  And this smoothie makes a lot!  Like two huge glasses.  I assumed you’re suppose to drink it all. I did the best I could.  It wasn’t gagging awful, just something you probably won’t miss after the detox is over.

The snack smoothie can be a repeat of any of the 3 smoothies.  Since I didn’t know what dinner tasted like yet, and lunch was out of the question, I had the breakfast smoothie again.

The dinner smoothie was really good.  My favorite of the three.

DAY 2
Woke up with a wicked headache.  Dr. Oz said the tea was supposed to help with coffee/caffeine withdraw, but it wasn’t working for me.  Ouch!  I lost 1 1/2 lbs when I weighed myself this morning.  Yea!  Repeated all the smoothies as yesterday.  This time, though, the lunch smoothie was better.  I don’t know if the cucumber had a better favor, or the fact that I used a different bunch of celery, I don’t know.  But I was able to drink it all today.

I just couldn’t bring myself to do the snack smoothie.  After 2 giant glasses of lunch, I wasn’t hungry.  I don’t know if that’s allowed, but it wasn’t happening.  Dinner was fine and I got to escape and take a bath.

DAY 3
Woke up and weighed myself.  Lost another 1 1/2 lb.  (Note: the purpose of the cleanse is to detox.  The side effect is weight loss.)  Still had a headache. Had tea.  Breakfast, lunch, and dinner was the same.  Couldn’t do the snack again.  By the end of the day, my headache was gone and I was feeling pretty good.

DAY AFTER
I lost a total of 5 lbs and lost over an inch from my waist.  WooHoo!  Overall, I do feel better.  With the combination of hormones, medicines I take, and the crappy food I eat, I always have stomach issues.  My stomach feels great now.  So great in fact, I was afraid to eat today.  You’re suppose to ease back into food slowly though. Not really sure what that means.  I made a smoothie for breakfast and drank COFFEE, ate an apple with peanut butter for lunch, and had 1 slice of pizza at dinner.  But I don’t crave salt or even (GULP!) Nutella.  Didn’t even want a Coke with my pizza.

I wasn’t hungry on this cleanse.  If you sat down and had to chew all this food, it would be a lot.  You certainly won’t starve.  The worse part was lunch – for me anyways.  Maybe Dr. Oz could figure out a better lunch smoothie combination.  I’m not a huge fan of veggies.  How happy I would be to drink all my daily veggies in a couple of big gulps!  Dr. Oz, there’s a challenge for you.  Make drinking veggies yummy ‘cuz I don’t want to eat them. :D

185 comments

1. Tracy S says:

I’m glad I found this! I have been thinkin about doing this detox. I am allergic to mango & avocado, so I’m looking for recommendations for the dinner drink. Also, I’ve read some comments describing digestive issues. I would recommend not skipping the probiotic supplement. Especially if you are taking an antibiotic. Just don’t take them at the same time! I had a doctor recommend a probiotic while on an antibiotic. Of course check with your doctor or pharmacist if you have questions or concerns as they know you & your health history!

2. Rachel says:

I just finished my day 2 dinner smoothie and so far this is successful! I’m down from 117 to 114 and looking forward to a few more pounds disappearing. Some tips…

-If you aren’t familiar with using coconut oil, it needs to be melted ;o)
    -I prepped all 9 smoothies in advance (no way I have room for a snack one, I barely want the dinner one, but in my opinion, the breakfast one is the best if you want a repeat). I also went all organic, but that’s how normally eat anyhow.
    -I broke everything down pretty small (a rough chop), measured it and put it in baggies with instructions written on them with what still needed to be added, then I froze them all. I know drinking them frozen is slightly counterintuitive because the cold slightly slows down your metabolism but to me it makes any smoothie more tolerable.
    -BREAKFAST: I froze it all but the almond butter and the water. I even made lemon juice cubes from fresh squeezed lemons. This one is yummy! Just peel the banana and chop it all up.
    LUNCH: It isn’t as bad as I thought. I cored the apple, pulled the strings out of the celery and deveined the kale. My cucumbers weren’t very seedy so I didn’t mess with them and left on the skin because there are nutrients in there! The pineapple I bought was already peeled and cubed because, well, I’m lazy. I left the coconut oil and almond milk out of the bag. When you think it’s blended, keep blending! This one takes a while to break down all that skin and roughage.
    DINNER: Peeled the mango and avocado, used my lemon juice cubes, deveined the kale leaves, and left out the coconut water and cayenne. The cayenne mad it so hot that barely finished it the first night, so tonight I decided to make some cayenne and lemon “tea” with it instead, then drank my smoothie. DON’T skip the cayenne all together, though. It helps to speed up your metabolism so that you burn calories through the night.

3. Aaron says:

Not quite extended more than three days the whole program…but I have incorporated the breakfast and dinner smoothie into my regular routine now. They fill me up, are healthy, and are easy to do. I’ve done days using just one as a substitute for whichever meal you want.; sometimes two meals are substituted. Loving it…losing weight, but feel great. And, most importantly…my high blood pressure is coming under control. I’m halving the dosage I was on and am right around normal. Awesome.

4. Lainey Bernstein says:

I just finished the cleanse, and I feel so much lighter in every way. What I loved about this cleanse versus the Master Cleanse, is that I could exercise and not feel light headed! The lunch shake was quite difficult, but I just kept telling myself what all of those fibrous, green and leafy veggies were doing for my system.
    I decided to do the cleanse because my gut was not happy. I looked up cleanses, and Dr. Oz, and found the 3-Day Detox AND the 3-Day Jumpstart. I have been taking the supplements from the Jumpstart the past 3 days, and will now do the diet part for the next 3 days. It’s all about food-combining which will continue to give my digestive tract a break, but I get to eat. So, basically, I have combined the two cleanses, and I am looking forward to resetting my system.
    Thanks for this forum! It has been great to read all of your experiences and share mine!

5. Debs says:

I just finished this cleanse and lost 6 pounds. The liver has over 500 functions including a rolr in regulating you metobolism, hormone production and glycogen storage- which all have a lot to do with how you store fat or burn it as energy. However, the livers primary responsiblity is detoxifing all the chemicals we take in. That means if it is overtaxed with dealing with breaking down your high fructose cornsyrup, partially hydroginated oils, fake suntanning lotions, GMO’s and chemicals sprayed on foods, your hormones can suffer an imbalance. I am scheduleing this cleanse every 6 to 8 weeks for both myself and my husband. I think it has great benefits. Aside from detoxing, it resets your appetite and makes you very aware of the crap you eat. I have a recipe for a lunch shake that I make often that I got from the PH Balance Alkaline your body book, that i substituted on day 2 and 3 for lunch. It had basically the same ingredients and I’m used to it and love it. Its as follows: 2 cups baby spinach leaves, 1/2 cuke peeled, lime juice or 1/2 lime peeled, 5 ice cubes, 1/2 avacado and 1/2-1 cup of cold water- I added the flax to this for the cleanse. One bit of advice to save your liver – GIVE UP ALL SODA.

6. Paty Savage says:

The majority of bloggers and commenters that I’ve been reading in regards to the Dr. Oz 3-day cleanse and detox all seem to dislike the lunch smoothie. Believe it or not, I actually like it! Here are my tips for making it taste good: (1) Peel and de-seed the cucumber, and then finely chop it. (2) finely chop the celery – I hate celery so I always do this anyway! (3) Only use the juice from 1/2 lime and a little of the zest. The zest really helped bring out the pineapple and apple flavors. (4) Melt the coconut oil. (5) Peel, core and chop up the apple. (6) Freeze the apple and pineapple. (7) Cut up the kale leaves and don’t include any of the stem. Finally, put the kale in your blender first, & add a little of the almond milk to get it pureed. Then add the celery and cucumber with a little more liquid and some of the oil. Get all of the veggies pureed before adding your frozen fruit and the rest of the liquids. I promise you, you will wind up with a bright green and surprisingly good smoothie! Also, I had never had kale before doing this! Good luck!

7. Mel says:

I’m on day 2. Lunch drink is HORRIBLE! This morning I was hungry and drank the tea first. I shoulda then had breakfast smoothie but got preoccupied with something and the green tea made me throw up. Yikes! But I’m glad I’m doing this just to be healthier! Im also working out during the 3 days (might skip today tho). Good luck everyone!!

8. Steph says:

I just started the three day, we juiced both our morning and lunch smoothies. I haven’t had the lunch one yet:( I think I will continue to juice the lunch one cause I can’t take the chunks but I will start using a blender for the other smoothies so I am not loosing out on the fiber and nutrients. Feeling pretty good, just tired!

9. D says:

How many calories exactly are each shake?
    I try to only eat 1000 I hope this doesn’t make me gain weight.

10. Nicki says:

My husband and I just finished our day one breakfast drink! I was excited when he said he would do it with me. Sure is easier not to plan a dinner for him and a shake for me. I premade his lunch drink last night and I must admit my thoughts all night were, “Can I do this?” LOL Together we can. Looking forward to what ever results I might gain, mentally and physically.

11. Krissy says:

I’m at the end of day 2. Yes the lunch drink is not my favorite, but the others aren’t bad. I did feel hungry at times. I have worked out both days (though I did tone it down a bit). I don’t feel like I have “extra energy” and did experience a headache last night. At the beginning of day two I was down 2 lbs. so that’s a good thing, but I have a feeling once I start to eat solid foods it’ll all come right back. I can’t wait to have my coffee again! But I’m glad I tried it..

12. Erick says:

Just finished the 3 day. I had the headache the first day. The lunch drink was gross and took some time to get down. Day 2 I peeled the cucumber and only used half and half the celery. I found a huge help was to add cinnimon. It helped with the smell and taste. Best of luck

13. Em says:

I was told that the headaches were also a sign that your body was releasing the toxins. So maybe thinking of that will help you get through it. I am not a big caffeine drinker at all and had a headache all day on day one as well.

14. Em says:

Hi All! I’m at the end of day three. From the comments that I have read, it sounds like a new blender might help some of the issues. My blender liquified everything so there was nothing to “chew” (except maybe for raspberry/blueberry seeds/skin). I found lunch horrible on day one as most of you have. On day two, I decreased the amount of celery by half and instead of just 1/2 green apple, used the whole thing – that helped! And on day three, I also added cayenne powder to the lunch smoothie – making it spicey helped even more (but I like spicey foods). Also, for the lunch shake – for those of you that dont have/like cocunut oil, you still need to replace the “good fat” in the shake – so replace with avocado or almond butter. On the whole, I feel good. Am not going to get on the scale until the a.m.

15. Laurie says:

The lunch shake was better this time around for me. I think because I used fresh fruit instead of frozen. Dinner was horrible. I kept checking the ingredients over and over too. The first time I did this, dinner was my favorite smoothie. I don’t know what’s different this time.

16. Laurie says:

I’m glad to hear you are getting through it. I’m doing the detox right now for the second time. On day two and feeling okay, although a little grumpy. I know I will feel better when it’s over so that’s keeping me hanging on. It’s amazing how quickly sugar cravings go away! I’m a complete Nutella freak, and I even want any! That’s saying a lot! Ha! Good luck on day 3!

17. Debra Scofield says:

I’ve gotten through day 2. A little crabby at times today. II almost gave up this evening.. I was so hungry and wanted real food so bad!! But I made a cup of green tea and that put me back on track :) I added extra avocado to the dinner drink which seemed to add a bit more substance and was more satisfying. I’ll definitely be able to get through tomorrow, and though Ill really be happy to eat again, I have to admit my desire for unhealthy food is almost gone! ( at least for now. Haha) And I used to have the worst sugar cravings in the evening.. Those have been non-existent ! I’ve had some aches and pains that I’m not sure are or are not attributable to the detox but just thought I’d toss it out there in case anyone else is experiencing that. All in all I’m glad I did it!

18. Heather Padilla says:

I personally love the lunch drink. It’s the dinner one I’m having trouble with. I had to double and triple check that I had only used a 1/4 tsp of cayenne in the shake but it is so spicy that it’s hard to drink:(

19. Laurie says:

I’m doing this detox for the second time now. Lunch was better this time because I used fresh pineapple instead of frozen and I didn’t add the celery.

20. Nadine says:

My favourite smoothie was the Lunch one! I’m surprised that so many people didn’t like it. I found it cool and refreshing. I peeled the cucumber, however, so maybe that made the difference.

21. Allison Totten says:

Did you breastfeed while you were on the detox? I wasn’t sure if it would be harmful to my milk supply either by lowering it, or adding any toxins to it.

22. Karen says:

I peeled the cucumber. I know I hate the rind of the cucumber too bitter.
    I could not see how much different it would make.

23. Lolly says:

A lot of people are getting headaches on this cleanse and blaming it on caffeine withdrawl…but I don’t think that’s it. I am not a regular coffee or tea drinker, and very rarely get a headache, but I am on day one of this cleanse and have had a headache most of the day today. Odd.

24. stephanie atchley says:

I am traveling the following day for work…. Will i still be in the bathroom a lot?

25. erin says:

You should really do it in the blender as eating all the fiber that comes along with the vegetables is what keeps you full, but also allows all of the nutrients to do their job as intended. We started the first day and ate salad with salmon, and did the cleanse for 5 days, and again on the last day added a salad with some meat. We also added some basic protien powder to the breakfast smoothie as I think it lacks protein to be able to sustain for 5 days.

26. Barbara Greany says:

I believe you are able to drink as much water and green tea as you’d like. I didn’t buy the decaffeinated green tea so that it would help with the caffeine headache.

27. Meg says:

I am in the middle of day 2 and I guess I’m weird because I like the lunch shake! I use frozen pineapple so it’s nice and cold, peel and seed the cukes, juice the lime and I make sure to blend the crap out of it. It has a grassy taste but I find it bright and refreshing. Overall I have felt pretty good, but today I am very sleepy. I broke down and had a second cup of green tea this afternoon because I could barely keep my eyes open. I’m a big coffee drinker so I am surprised not to have headaches, although I did try to cut back for a few days before the cleanse. I’ve had a few hunger pangs, most noticeably when I was heating up some homemade meatballs for the kids for dinner last night! I almost caved and ate one but didn’t. My daughters just came home from school and made popcorn which smells amazing but i don’t feel as desperate to eat as I did last night.

The only bummer is I haven’t lost any weight…not sure why.

28. Sherie says:

going to start this next weekend, for the holiday 3 days off work. I am alergic to mango, should I subsitute or just exclude it from the shake. Please advise.

29. Erin says:

My husband and I did it too and experienced the same thing in terms of “going”. By the end of day 2 though your body catches up to the change. Sounds weird to say but at day 3 it is better than normal.

30. Erin says:

I’m on Day 3 (just one more drink left!), and I feel fantastic! I completely expected to have the opposite mood/feeling at this time. I have even continued to work out. I did do little cheats though. For lunch I ate the celery on the side. Also for snacks I just ate things similar to the ingredients of the shakes. I’m not sure what difference that makes in terms of the cleanse, but it certainly made a difference in how I felt. My snack consisted of blueberries, cherry tomatoes, fresh portabello mushroom, part avocado, and celery – all raw and with lemon on top, no salt. It was great, and thus far I have lost 5 lbs.

Aside from hunger and fatigue on the first day (try sparkling water and chewing gum as aids), I haven’t had any side effects. I’ve had no crankiness or headaches. I’m really surprised at how good I feel. To those of you that want to try it, make it your own, do a different snack, mix it up, because I feel fantastic and really want to stick with eating lots of fruits and veggies daily.

31. Kate says:

I am on Day 2 and so far it’s going pretty well, but I really just want something solid! The breakfast drink tasted better to me this morning, although I must say I am dreading the lunch drink. Yesterday I didn’t think it tasted awful, it was just so chunky. Today I made it with only 2 stalks of celery and slightly more almond milk so hopefully it will be more tolerable. I made the dinner drink for my snack though, so something to look forward (if you want to call it that) to?

32. Crystal says:

Day 2: drinking my green tea now, haven’t gotten out of bed yet. Dull headache which is not too bad but what is killing me is the constipation! My husband is also detoxing and he is having no problem “going”. Has anyone else had this problem? I will be drinking more water today but was just too full yesterday to get my daily amount in.

33. Erin says:

I’m so glad to have found this site. My husband and I just started the cleanse today, and it’s really helpful to have all the comments about taking drinks to work and options for lunch. We have not had the lunch drink yet but I plan on eating celery on the side. Details to come as to weight loss and/or crankiness haha. Thx!

34. Pele Recely says:

I am so glad I found this blog! My husband and I are doing this together. This is my second day. We bought a really good blender which I think is the key. We make our shakes the night before and have designated bottles for breakfast and lunch. Cutting up the veggies helps with the blending. I have stuck to the plan exactly and haven’t had any problems with it. Sorry to all who don’t like the lunch ones, I love them:)

35. Astar says:

Hi…I cut up everything for the 3 days, the night before I started and put each meal into a larger ziplock bag, it made it so much easier. In the morning I would blend my breakfast and lunch smoothies and take the lunch smoothies in a travel bottle. Good luck

36. Laurie says:

I wish you luck! If you don’t like the dinner shake, I suggest not using the hot pepper. I didn’t even try to use it because I couldn’t imagine hot spice in a fruit smoothie. You will feel better when the cleanse is over… lighter, less bloated, healthier. :D

37. Sahar says:

I am on my first day, reading the comments is helping me gulp the lunch smoothie though it’s just too hard to do. I will try to lessen the celery and cucumber tomorrow. The breafast was good, the green tea is part of my daily plan anyway. I immediately saw imporvement in the bathroom.
    Looking forward to dinner i just hope it’s better than lunch, i don’t know if i will be able to finish it, i really want to do this!
    Thank you for this lovely blog, it’s nice to know you are not alone because i am really getting funny faces at the office :) by the way, i prepared them all in the morning and brought them in long tupperwares, much more convenient than using the blender at the office etc…

38. Leslie says:

Any suggestions for preparing ingredients ahead of time? I’m planning to do the cleanse, but most of the blogs and reviews are from people that work at home or did the cleanse on the weekend. Can you pre mix the smoothies or cut up and combine the ingredients in ziplock bags?

39. Margie says:

On Day 3 and just have dinner left. My husband and I actually like the lunch smoothie the best but we left out the cucumber and ate it separately. It gave us something crunchy to chew and the drink was pretty good without it. I did have a bad headache on Day 2, but it went away and I feel pretty good on Day 3. Neither of us have been hungry yet. After the first 2 days, he lost 6 lbs and I lost 2. Hopefully after today it will be a little more. It’s a good way to jumpstart the diet. All in all it was a good experience and I plan to incorporate the smoothies into my regular diet.

40. Cam M. Clow says:

Day 2 lunch… followed other posters advice and ate half the celery (and half of the cucumber). The shake is much better!! Going to need to get more raspberries as the breakfast drink will be repeated again for snack. I didn’t lose any weight day 1…

41. Barb says:

Went and got most of the ingredients last night. Had my tea this morning. It is 11 and still have not made the breakfast. I have a headache already. I am worried about being able to fit all the shakes in but will give it a try. The blender just arrived with the rest of the groceries. Thanks for this blog. I think it will get me though this!

42. Cam M. Clow says:

I started today! I’m still working on finishing the lunch shake. I didn’t think at first that it was all that bad…but there is so much of it. I ended up with 2 full 12 oz glasses plus another half glass. I think it would taste better with a little salt…lol. Tomorrow I’m only using half cucumber…my cucumbers are pretty big. I also packed the kale in the cup…think I’ll pack it a little more loosely. I actually didn’t care for the green tea this morning. The breakfast shake was very good. I’m anxious to see how dinner goes…I’m going to miss my beer! I don’t know if I’ll be hungry enough for the snack. Oh, I was very pleased that I found everything on the shopping list at my local Walmart Supercenter. It took me a long time to find some things…but it was all there.

43. Jessica Thompson says:

yea… i quit… i had some almond butter and crackers and began to feel much better… i’ve tried cleanses before and had negative effects as well… perhaps my body just doesn’t do well with the carb/protein deprivation… i do incorporate a ‘green’ smoothie into my daily diet… perhaps i’ll just keep that up! good luck to all that can handle it and benefit from cleanses! i am jealous!

44. Staci says:

I did some heavy duty snow shoveling during my phase and started feeling the same. Light-headed, dizzy, hungry. So I cheated and gave myself some carbs and protein in the form of a turkey sandwich. Only a small portion, but I felt so much better within 20 minutes, that I knew I had solved my problem. Not an expert opinion by any means, just sharing my own experience.

45. Laurie says:

Wow! Sorry to hear that. I hate to give advice since I’m not a doctor, but if I felt that bad, I would stop. Have you gone on Dr. Oz’s website to see if there is any information about your symptoms there?

46. Jessica Thompson says:

I am feeling terrible! Please help. I am on Day 2. I have been starving between meals. I am working out during this, maybe that is my problem. But I am super cold, kind of woozy… All in all, just kind of hating life. I never even eat that much food. I am not getting the results at all that I am reading. Please help! Should I stop?

47. Barbara Esposito says:

I am glad too I stumbled on your site. Started today hopeing to get rid of the built you bacteria. I too have IBS and thought it would loosen me up. Not working, I had to take a suppository. Love the the breakfast, hate the lunch but will try cutting back on the celery. The snack I repeated the breakfast. The dinner was not bad but I forgot to add the pepper. I weighed myself and looks like I gained weight. Probably because nothing came out. Lol. I’m drinking some water throughout the day and I am starving at night. This is a double detox w/o my vino at night. I hope when I wake up tomorrow I will see the scale move. Thx

48. Staci says:

I’m so glad to hear of everyone’s experiences on this detox! I’m on day 3, and have lost 5.5 lbs and 2 inches from my waist. Yes, that’s an awesome “side-effect” from doing this detox, but overall I just feel “lighter.” The lunch smoothie has by far been my least favorite. I read a tip on a different site that said it helped to blend the ingredients in a specific order, and make sure you peel the cucumber. Here’s the order, making sure you blend well before adding the next ingredient….”Cut everything up into small pieces, blend the ingredients separately and well, in this order: kale, celery, apple, pineapple, everything else – adding the almond milk as needed. If you need more liquid, just use some water.” Good luck to everyone wanting to do this for themselves!

49. Laurie says:

OMGoodness! You poor thing. I hope the detox helps get rid of all that ails you! You may be on to something with the face mask! Ha! Best wishes to you. Let me know how you do.

50. Christina says:

I started today Jan 11, 2013. We moved to a new area in May and I have been sick with Strep, Flu, pink eye and a cold (in that order) since just after Thanksgiving!! My child’s teacher said she has heard of people moving to a new area and catching all the bugs the first year because they are not use to the germs in that area. I don’t know how much of this is true, but I’m so sick of being sick, 7 weeks and still suffering from cough, runny nose and plugged ears!! I though Dr. Oz’s Cleanse might help me out by putting everything back on restart!! Plus the vitamins and probiotics should help too!! Hopefully after Sunday I will be feeling a WHOLE lot better. If weight loss is an added extra HURRAY but I’m just doing the cleanse to boost my immunity and kick this sickness out the door!! I had planned to do it with my husband to start off our new year but alas he was in bed with the flu that had already gone through the rest of us. I took advice from a few people above on the lunch smoothy and made sure my celery was peeled, both that and the cucumber weren’t too big and I melted the coconut oil. It smells worse than it tastes and I’ve gotten through 1/2 of it so far. It’s definitely not appetizing to look at but maybe if you added some honey or egg it would make a great face mask! LOL

51. Astar says:

I just started today, so last night I cut up everything except the apples and avocado for all three day and put them into indiviual sandwich bags and labeled them breakfast 1, lunch 1 & dinner 1 etc.; this morning I grabbed my baggie and threw everything in the blender…after breakfast I blended the lunch smoothie, will see how it goes in a little while, although I am still full from breakfast

52. Astar says:

53. Michelle says:

Hi Shannon,

My husband and I did this detox as well and have had the same issues except the constipation. Headaches, nausea, no energy in the afternoon and evening, and we were HUNGRY the entire 3 days. We each lost 5 pounds and I lost 3 inches off my waist. Don’t think I will do this detox again. Probably would defeat the purpose if we ate as well as had the smoothies.

54. Diana says:

Just finished day one….had such a raging headache that I caved and added some protein powder to the dinner drink. I’m pretty sure the headache was from not enough protein. I followed everyone’s advice and cut down on the celery for the lunch drink. Even then, it took over two hours for me to drink it. I am looking forward to the relaxing bath.

55. Jennifer says:

Just started the detox today. I have been planning on doing this for awhile. I’m so glad I stumbled onto this page! I was actually trying to drink the lunch shake as I read the comments. It is certainly as awful as some of you said and I do like the idea of eating the celery instead of blending it. Just have to say thank you to all of you. I’ve finished over half of this nasty thing just sipping and reading your posts. I also loved the breakfast shake, hope I like the dinner one. Blessings everyone

56. PAMM says:

I am on Day 2 of This Detox I got a Bad Headache Yesterday so bad I had to lay down. I am addicted to Sugar big time. I have Auto Immune Disease is the reason I am doing this. To see if I can wean down off my steroids. Good Luck everyone…

57. susan says:

i’m on day one, about to make the dinner drink. have to say, i LOVED the lunch one!
    so did my BF, doing it with me. one thing i did was: peeled the celery to get those tough stringy things off. you know how we all love the inside stalks? f you peel the outer ones, its WAY more tender. using a waring blender, frozen pineapple and blending till smooth(in batches).
    our only issue: WE’RE STARVING!

58. Shannon says:

I was so excited and optimistic about doing this cleanse, I actually started the night before with the dinner smoothie instead of a meal. I am finishing up day 3 and I have to say, I am really disappointed. I have had a headache, horrible indigestion, lethargy, constipation and bloating the entire time. I had been having digestive issues prior and was really hoping this would help. I thought the smoothies were good and the plan easy to follow. I am really happy for all of you that had so much success, wish I had a similar experience I have been reading several blogs to see if anyone has had similar issues to mine.

59. Joanne says:

Well, my husband and I finished the 3-day cleanse.
    For those of you who are wondering, the breakfast shake is about 300 calories, and the lunch and dinner shakes are about 350 calories each. So assuming you have all 4 drinks, it’s 1300 – 1350 calories a day.
    We’re both pretty active, and we were able to maintain daily workouts (around an hour or so of pretty intense cardio and / or weights) without any problems, although by the third day my husband was feeling hungry and was craving protein (me too, but to a lesser extent).
    In terms of shakes, we found them all to be tasty enough, although for the lunch shake we reduced the amount of celery to 2 long stalks for a double shake (so basically 1 long stalk per person) and we used 1 English cucumber (so a half cucumber per person) for the double shake. It still made a lot! No headaches. We usually did 3 shakes per day and had half an avocado around 7 if we were still hungry.
    The results: we both feel good and pretty energetic; I lost 3.5 pounds (I weighed 135 when we started) and my husband lost 6 pounds (he weighed 187 when he started), and we both lost half an inch around our waists. Some of the weight loss is likely water and / or related to cutting out wine with dinner plus the obvious effects of calorie restriction (I usually eat more like 2200 – 2400 calories per day). Probably the best part was getting us out of our daily wine and coffee habit which we slipped into over the holidays – it’s a good kick start to a healthy way of eating.
    Good luck to those who are giving it a shot!

60. Wanda says:

I’m on day two. I love fruits and veggies but I agree with all of you about the Lunch Smoothie! If it didn’t make 2 glass fulls I think I could handle it better. I did this to jump start eating better. I can’t believe how full you feel drinking these. I have a question, not sure if any of you can answer. I just so happened to get a toothache were I was prescribed antibiotics. Do you think this will make a difference in the detox?

61. TR says:

I am on day one. I couldn’t stand the thought of drinking celery, so I ate my four stalks while drinking the smoothie. Perfect, and it doesn’t taste too bad. I think celery is bitter and could cause the whole smoothie to taste yuck. I plan to chew my celery on this cleanse!!

62. Cindy Carter says:

I’m on day 3 and love this detox! I look forward to the bath at night and ge through lunch by only blending certain ingredients and eat the rest. I snack on the cucumber, celery and apples. My sorry little blender doesnt like it even when I cut them up. I’m so full after I drink and eat all the lunch. I was hoping to connect with a few people ( maybe on FB ) and see if we can’t do a bi-monthly cleanse to keep us on track? I’m a sugar hound and find this detox has enough fruits to keep my honest.

63. Ali says:

Just started day 1 today. The breakfast smoothie was okay but I am starving and now I am a little worried about having the lunch smoothie with all the rave reviews. My husband just called he is doing it too, he is hungry too. The breakfast smoothie didn’t have enough protein in it to keep me full.

64. Joanne says:

Just started on day 1 today. I’m doing the cleanse with my husband . . . It took me a while to work my way through the lunch shake, although I didn’t mind the taste as much as others. I will definitely cut back on the amount of celery, though.
    I’m a bit worried about the talk of headaches … I feel fine, but G. just told me he is starting to get a headache!
    I’ll let you know how we do.

65. Kesha says:

My co-workers and I are starting the clease together! Thanks so much for all the tips and suggestions. The lunch smoothie seems to be interesting!

66. Vickie says:

I’m getting ready to start this detox and I’ve read all the comments. I’m wondering if you can make the breakfast and lunch drinks the night before and refrigerate or even freeze the lunch drink because I don’t have time to do all this in the morning before work.

67. Laurie says:

You don’t need luck!! You can do it. I’m starting again tomorrow myself. I have had my last donut, and I’m on to better (healthier!) things.

68. News Years Day Cleanse: Today was the start of my 3 day cleanse. The morning started out better than expected. I don’t normally drink tea, but it wasnt bad. I used frozen raspberries in the breakfast drink which helped to keep the drink cold. It was really good. It kept me full for quite a while. I filled up the entire Vitamix with the lunch drink. Way to many greeen vegs, I dont even like the smell of cucumbers! This was super think and I used only 1/2 of a cucumber it was hard to swallow and it made enough for 2 drinks! I dont think Im going to drink the rest either. Plus I keep burping cucumbers! Tomorrow im not using cucumbers, I hope it will be ok. Well, I hope my dinner drink will be better then lunch. I did not have the snack drink either, Im way to full. Im drinking plenty of water, and have had to pee numerous times today. Wish me luck to get through 2 more days…

69. Gabrielle says:

Thank you for this post. I browsed the comments at the start of my cleanse, when I was wondering ‘Why in the world am I doing this??’ Now that I’m on day 3 I thought I’d share my experiences. I planned out when and how I’d do this cleanse weeks in advance. I started on Saturday and ended on New Year’s Eve Monday. I was off work all three days – something I would recommended unless you’re able to blend your drinks at work. I ‘treated’ myself by scheduling a facial on Saturday afternoon and a stone massage on Monday afternoon. Having these activities to look forward to kept me excited about cleansing. I worked out daily (yoga and strength training) and filled time with items on my to do list (scan old photo graphs, self-nail treatments, reading, cleaning out the fridge, laundry, researching DIY ideas on Pinterest, etc.). I also watched recorded Dr. Oz shows from my DVR. My husband is thrilled to have more space :0). All the drinks were tolerable, but I did decrease the celery by half starting on day 2. The breakfast was my favorite and one that I’ll include in my routine post-cleanse. I found this detox to be more of a mental challenge. I wasn’t very hungry during the cleanse, but my cravings were present – especially during the afternoon/evening hours. To help alleviate my cravings I drank an apple cider vinegar cocktail (2 tbsp acv mixed in a large cup of water). I also drank sassy water throughout the day (sliced cucumber, sliced lemon, 12 springs of mint, 1 tbsp of grated ginger). I lost a total of 3 lbs. and felt moderately energized about half the time. I peed often, but there weren’t abnormal bms. Although I was cleansing by myself, my husband was supportive and ate most of his meals away from me, which really helped. All in all, the cleanse is doable if you have a pretty high level of willpower and keep yourself busy/distracted. This cleanse is helping me kick-start my New Year resolutions. Happy 2013, folks and best wishes fellow cleansers!

70. ZB says:

The only problem with juicing is that you loose a lot of the fiber (in the pulp) which ends up in the “trash dispenser”. I’m on day 1 and I recently purchased a vitamix and blended everything, the lunch one sucks but such is life..its only 3 days thankfully

71. Laurie says:

Sounds like a good juicer is the way to go! I’m going to do the detox again after company leaves and life goes back to normal. Thanks for the suggestion. :D

72. Eileen says:

I HAVE AN INTERESTING THOUGHT FOR THE LUNCH SMOOTHIE WHICH I AM DRINKING AS WE SPEAK… ughhh! anyway, THE NEXT TIME I DO THIS, I WOULD RECOMMEND FINDING A REALLY REALLY GOOD “JUICER” AND JUCIE THOSE VEGGIES….THE TASTE IS MUCH BETTER ( i used to juice these very veggies) and the sweetness of the apple and pineapple will shine through….it will be very easy to drink ( wish I had thought of that before I made my lunch drink today!!) THEN pour it in the blender and mix it with the almond milk….ok it is going to take meALL DAY TO GET THIS DOWN…..it is my first day….can’t wait to taste dinner…..

73. Shelley says:

I drink lots of green smoothies and as a vegetarian I even eat raw kale salad (let me know if you want that recipe, even my carnivores love it). I’ve done this detox five days (one day each), once for two days, and once for three days…just for resting from all the holiday treats.

So, I decided the key to the lunch smoothie is to follow it exactly, BUT you MUST have a good blender. A regular blender leaves it chunky (from what it sounds like). I have a Blendtec but if you have a Vitamix or blend the fire out of it it helps. I use frozen fruit except apple. Peel lemon/lime and use the juice only (that’s ambiguous in the recipe) .

Also chop the celery and make sure all the fresh veggies are cut. And, my husband did this one day and his suggestion was to drink it in a DARK glass so it doesn’t look so green. I think it’s beautiful, and tasty (very green, but I like it). It was too green for him to look at but, like Dr. Seuss’ Green Eggs and Ham, the anticipation may be worse than the drink itself
    …if you blend it well and put it into a dark colored glass, and sip it through a straw, it really isn’t horrible….I found it refreshing.

74. Polish M says:

My wife and I are on day two. We found all of the smoothies to taste good, however most of the ingredients we eat on a regular basis anyways, just not in a smoothie form. My wife has definitely been cranky and tired most of the time, but I’ve felt fine and have continued working out and going on long bike rides. I’ve lost a 1/2″ on my waist and 3 lbs as of the 2nd morning. Dr Oz likes to talk about poop a lot, but both my wife and I have not pooped much at all during this detox. Our last shake of the cleanse will be the dinner shake on Christmas Eve, but we plan on going back to solid food for dinner immediately after we finish our last shake and on Christmas Day we are going to have an all day feast. It definitely helps to do this with someone else. We have a rule that you cannot talk about solid food and any time a commercial with food comes on the TV we immediately change the channel.

75. Jessica says:

I liked the dinner the least, I thought the lunch was awful but that was due to the celery, it was just too overpowering, so greatly reducing that today & trying again. The cayenne pepper really threw me off in the dinner, I like spicy stuff, but it just doesn’t belong in a drink lol something about the texture of the dinner one I didn’t like either, I may just replace that one with the lunch or breakfast one altogether but Idk yet. I didn’t have a snack yesterday as I really didn’t feel the need for one. I weighed this morning & compared to my usual numbers it was definitely down some, but I weighed in an entirely new place also, will weigh in the same spot tomorrow to see if theres a difference there which I’m sure there will be. I have a slight headache this morning, I’m working on drinking the tea, I’m not a fan at all but it is tolerable, I am curious to see what the breakfast will taste like using raspberries since I used blueberries yesterday. So far this really isn’t too bad

76. Randy S. Lattimer says:

day 3 I have gained aprox. 4lbs and have been hungry a good portion of the time. I like all of the drinks though and will probably use them again, but I have no weight loss at all instead I gained quite well, even though I take kick boxing classes and dance classes regularly.

77. Jessica says:

I’m starting today, my mom is obsessed with Dr. Oz & wanted to do the detox & I figured I’d give it a try with her, I didn’t weigh myself this morning, I usually only weigh on Saturday or Sunday but maybe I’ll weigh tomorrow just to have #’s to go off of for the rest of the detox. I’m not a fan of green tea but I managed to drink it & I forgot to get raspberries for the breakfast smoothie so ended up using blueberries in their place, it’s not bad, I think I actually like it lol I will stop at the store today & pick up some raspberries so I can have them for the next two days breakfast. I’m not looking forward to the lunch after reading all the comments about how not so yummy it is but I’m going to try it anyways this afternoon. The breakfast was rather filling though, I have like a sip left I need to make myself finish lol

78. Katie says:

Today is day 3 and I am finishing my lunch smoothie as i type. I am so excited to start chewing my food again! My favorite was breakfast and i will continue making the drink. Happy to have found this page and Happy Holidays to all.

79. Laurie says:

Thanks you for your feed back. I had headaches too, and contributed them to the caffeine withdraw. I didn’t think about it being too much sugar. Hmmm. It is a great way to eat healthy. I could never eat all those fruits and veggies in a day!

80. Laurie says:

I’m glad day two went well! Yesterday for the lunch shake, I reduced the celery and cukes, but I added a handful of raspberries to the mix. Made a HUGE difference. I don’t know if there is a magic formula for each shake, and I’m messing with it by adding more fruit, but it was so much better. I will let you know if I find out I’m lactose intolerant. How do you find out? Eat it and see what happens? Is there a test? Thank for your help!

81. laney says:

I’m a breastfeeding Mom and I just completed all three days. I enjoyed the smoothies a lot. I felt like I got a lot of healthy food into my body. I wouldn’t have been able to eat all that kale and pineapple or berries straight. It also kept me full so I wasn’t tempted to eat off plan at all. I did modify the lunch shake a bit. I used coconut water instead of almond milk and I left the celery out of the shake and ate it separately. It was great. My 13 month old son went crazy every time he saw me drinking a smoothie and wanted a sip of them. He sucked down so much of each smoothie. I felt really healthy and energized. However, I did wake up all three days with a raging headache. I think that it is too much sugar and not enough protein. I think it messed with my blood sugar. I do love the smoothies though, especially the evening one. I love the cayenne pepper. Oh, and about the weight loss, I didn’t really lose any weight. I didn’t eat anything other than the shakes and honestly, I wasn’t able to drink 4 shakes a day, I just drank 3 shakes a day. They were too big and too filling to drink more. But today I ate healthy and felt good. I’m 132 pounds and don’t really have much to lose, maybe 5 pounds.

82. Laura says:

Day two went well. Reduced celery and cukes a bit, wasn’t as bad, but still had issues getting the last few sips down. I am also lactose intolerant, and had switched to almond milk awhile back. I find that almond breeze original has the best flavor…you may want to try it, if you haven’t already. I can eat yogurt, cottage cheese, and hard cheeses. But had to say no to cream cheese, soft cheese, ice cream, sour cream a long time ago. The good news is that there are so many alternative products out there now. If you find you are lactose intolerant, let me know, and I’ll give you my recommendations for products.

83. Laurie says:

Good luck on day two! I’m actually doing it again, I’m on day two as well. I’m not doing it to lose weight either, but after a week or so off the cleanse, I started having the same old symptoms again. I think it may be from milk products. For the lunch smoothie, I cut the celery and cucumber amounts in half and it really does make a difference. Let me know how you do!

84. Laura says:

Made it thru day one, agree lunch smoothie horrible (better with a straw, and plugged my nose for part of it), will take suggestions of cutting down celery and cucumbers, and maybe adding a bit more almond milk. Skipped the snack as I was too full from the big lunch. Not normally a bath person, but loved it…and may have to continue on after cleanse. Not doing this to lose weight, but to get rid of all the junk in my system. I also have IBS-C, and am thinking lately that I have a gluten sensitivity as well…lot of the same symptoms. I saw on dr oz’ site, to make sure you drink plenty of water (think it would help with headaches). Wish me luck on day 2!

85. Heather says:

I have a question: DO you need a juicer, or can you just use a blender? I don’t have a juicer, and I don’t want to spend a lot of money. Anyone have a good inexpensive one?

86. Laurie says:

I don’t know the answer to that, but if it were me, I would dilute the milk because neither the milk or coconut water is cheap. But I am! ha!

87. Alta says:

BTW, i mistakenly bought coconut milk instead of cocnut water. I think that I’ll dilute it – a lot. Do you think that’s ok?

88. Alta says:

Ok.. did green tea/breakfast and organized/cut up ingredients to make the rest of the ‘meals’ easier to put together. I take the GNC supplements that come in daily packs of 6; had a bottle of Centrums that I can’t find. So, I halved the tabs and did 1 gelcap – will do the other gel cap (which is different than the a.m. one) this evening with the others. I know that it’s about time to do the lunch one. I’m taking notes and will eliminate some of the celery and cukes. Thanks for all the tips. This is one of the few detoxes that I can do since my liver transplant 3 years ago. I figure that I don’t know what this liver was eating before I got it – it’s really important that it works for me over the long haul! I was a vegetarian for a long time. But, after my second child, a son, was born – he didn’t want to eat like my daughter and I did. He played sports and ate like his dad. I’m allergic to avocado. Guess I’ll just skip it. I’m expecting the best from this…lol…

89. Lisa says:

Started today! Breakfast drink was good. Lunch I COULD NOT CHOKE DOWN :( Plus, I still felt full from breakfast shake. Dinner was good which surprised me because I am not a blueberry fan. I used frozen organic blueberries and my drink was like a Slurpee. I will try the lunch with “think of it as soup” mindset and I will tweek it a bit. It’s the celery that ruins it for me. I have IBS that has been acting up. I am hoping this soothes it.

90. Kindra says:

I would suggest adding 1 of the other 2 fats, avocado or almond butter if you don’t use coconut oil. The fat is added so we can absorb the the fat soluble vitamins and minerals.

91. Kim Davis says:

First day is not good avoid people because you feel crappy day 2 gets better and day 3 will be so worth it. I have lost 4 pounds so far I have not finish day 3 yet.

92. Cindy says:

Today was day 1. The breakfast shake was definately the best. Lunch was difficult but got most of it down. Dinner was okay but after an hour or so I ended up throwing up! Not sure why. I’m hoping I can stick it out 2 more days. The headache has been awful all day,

93. Sheila says:

I am at the end of day two, just had my dinner drink. The lunch drink seems to be a bit much and it’s horrible too me, but I drunk it. I didn’t weigh myself because I fitness train and I have a lot of muscle so I would not have been able to tell if I lost any weight on day two. I’m actually doing the 3-day detox to see if I have willpower and I do, yea me. Good luck to all of the super women that are doing and have did Dr. Oz 3 day detox.

94. Kim Davis says:

It is Day 1 and the lunch is yucky!!! the breakfast was good…still trying to drink it down. I didnt have coconut oil, I figure I can do without tomorrow I think I will use less celery.

95. Sally Bishop says:

I gave up. The lunch drink is terrible and the dinner isn’t much better. I think a lot of it for me is the texture. Kale does not chop down well at all. Plus, I’m not a big blueberry fan and the dinner drink is loaded. I did loose over a pound the first day but the headache is simply not worth it. I will stick with the breakfast drink but need to add some protien back in. Good luck to everyone who can stick it out.

96. Sally Bishop says:

Like others have posted, the lunch drink is not very good. I do not care for the texture and it isn’t sweet enough for me. It is going to take a while to get this one down. I will do it though. It is only 3 days. :-)

97. Gina says:

Well I am so glad I continued…today, day 3 I feel like a completely different person. Woke up with no headache, drank my breakfast and tea, ran 3 miles on the treadmill, walked the dog, did laundry and now I’m ready for that tasty lunch drink! Lost 3 pounds so far, I’m hoping by tomorrow morning I’ll lose another 2.

98. Kathleen says:

I’m at the end of day 2 and it really isn’t so bad…except for the lunch drink!!!Yesterday I had a slight headache and was tired by the end of the night. i will say I did yoga both days and energy has been good in the a.m. and afternoon. The drinks are very filling and hard to finish, but I have managed to do so. Only 4 more smoothies…think I will try the lunch one with a little less celery. All in all, very good…this is my first cleanse . Not sure how to ease back into food on Saturday!

99. Suzan says:

I just finished the detox, lunch was unbearable and way too much even though I like each single ingredient!! I didnt even do the snack drink!!! didn’t lose anything, not on the waist not one single gram. The scsle stayed rhe same, tonight i even feel more bloated now!!! The only thing was that I didn’t have my usual sugar cravings… It’s doable overall .

100. Sally Bishop says:

I am so glad I found this blog! I plan to start this cleanse in the morning and just bought all the ingredients. I appreciate the suggestions for the lunch smoothie and shall cut down a bit on the celery and cucumber. I wasn’t able to find ground flax seed so I figure I’ll crush the whole ones I found and make due. The coconut oil was expensive for only needing 3 TBS but I figured I was in all the way. Sure hope I can stick with this; I want a jump start back on the weight loss journey. Fingers crossed!

101. Marva says:

I’m chiming in at the end of Day 3 to share that putting the lunch smoothie in a bowl and eating it like a cold soup made a huge difference to my perception of palatability. It’s kind of a scary drink, but a darn good soup. I feel great and am glad I tried it.

102. Gina says:

I only drink one cup of coffee in the morning, in fact I’m not even missing it. I usually drink green tea and other herb teas. I normally drink a lot of water, so I don’t understand why I feel this way. Is it okay that I added the salad using the ingredients from the drink instead?

103. Gina says:

Well, after reading all of these comments I don’t know what happened to me. I drank all 3 and I went to bed with a headache, woke up in the middle of the night with a pounding headache I had to take an Aleve. Then in the morning…oh boy, not only did I have a pounding headache but sick to my stomach. I tried to finish the entire breakfast drink but couldn’t, I did finish the tea. By lunch there was no way I was going to even try the drink, but around 3 I decided to try a salad with Kale, green apple, cucumber with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Now it is dinner, my headache is not so pounding and I will go make the last drink.

104. Laurie says:

That’s a good question. I have IBS-C so I’m sure eating all those fruits and veggies were exactly what I needed. I had no pains, bloating, or discomfort. I “went” normally everyday. Which is why I was afraid to eat food when I was done with the detox. I felt so good, I didn’t want to ruin it! I’m eating more healthy, and I’m still doing great. I hope that answers your question. ;)

105. Kathy petersen says:

If you dont mind my asking how were your bowels handling this. I have IBS. Going through gassiness, pains in stomach, unregular bm’s without a cleanse! Wonder how it would affect it on the cleanse

106. Sue says:

I’m on my second day and the lunch one isn’t as bad. I added a little extra almond milk and only 3 celery stalks as they were really big yesterday. It is tolerable today, still not good, but tolerable.

107. Kellie F. says:

I’m on day 3…. This is the first cleanse I have ever started and was able to finish the first day let alone day 2!! I feel great but I will say I do feel a little sluggish in the evening. I’m usually in bed by 10:30 or 11pm at the latest but I have been in bed by 9-9:30 the last 2 nights. I do miss chewing food but this is definitely doable! Oh and I’m down 2.5 lbs so far ;-) I think this is the perfect start or re set for any diet or health plan.

108. Tricia says:

Yaaay!!!IM so glad I looked on your page! I just started today too..and was horrified by the lunch drink! YUCK!!! Although my kids got a kick out of my faces!! Im hoping to be able to keep it going tomorrow…after reading that others have had success I think Ill give it a go!

109. tara says:

Never thought I could do something like this, tried several natural detox programs before a just a day or two in and I would get really sick and have less energy. This one I was never hungry ( and I eat alot, but usually healthily) felt better physically and very much mentally! Thank god since Ive been struggling with depression. I feel the body could much more easily use the vitamin broken down so much. Going off of the shakes, made me much more aware of what makes me feel bad when I eat certain things as well as appreciate my food and not need as much. More mindful. What a great feeling! I feel it also helps you identify your feelings more and not use food as a distraction, which we all do!
    Good luck and I highly recommend this to all. I come from a place where juicing and natural foods are the norm. I think that this is a wonderful way to show most americans how much better you feel when you eat properly and its for everyone, not just hippies and rabbits!

110. Kira says:

One additional note: I have incorporated either the lunch or breakfast smoothie into my daily routine. I like the idea of eating solid food for part of the day and replacing a meal with one of the smoothies knowing I am still getting the nutrition I need. This method really helps keep my calories down.

111. Kira says:

I drank water too. I would say make sure you are drinking plenty of water. You will visit the restroom often but that’s not a bad thing especially since you are cleansing/detoxing your kidneys, bladder, liver, etc.

112. Kira says:

I did the detox before Thanksgiving hoping it would help curb my appetite on Thanksgiving day. The first day was fine. I love green tea so that wasn’t an issue. I never used the stevia because the tea was fine without it. My favorite smoothie was the breakfast smoothie, which I used each day as my snack smoothie. The lunch smoothie was AWFUL! It made so much that I wondered if I had measured incorrectly. I wound up drinking my first day lunch smoothie over the course of the three days. I am sure that wasn’t supposed to be the plan, but I just couldn’t get it down. I basically chewed through my lunch. All you could taste were the cucumbers and celery. Anyway, the dinner smoothie was fine, but I had to cut back on the cayenne pepper. By day 2 I was starting to feel the effects and getting a bit cranky. (My husband warming up leftover chicken and baking cookies didn’t help either! Aarrgh!!) Day 3 was a blur and I almost gave up, but I was determined to finish. I did it! By day 4 I had lost about 8 pounds! I know that’s a lot but everyone’s body is different. Of course it wasn’t body fat but primarily water. I slowly went back into my normal routine (healthy foods, exercise) and gained only a few pounds back. I will say that I have cheated with some sweet treats and my stomach did not like that. Anyway, I felt refreshed afterwards and plan to do it every few months. Pros: All natural products and items you can get at the grocery store (none of that “funky” stuff Dr. Oz sometimes mentions that you have to go to Timbuktu to get–lol!), tasty except for lunch smoothie, you’re not starving yourself but just drinking your food. Cons: THE LUNCH SMOOTHIE!

113. Wadham says:

I finished. I added the pulp of the lemon instead of just the juice and that was great. By the second day I also did not want the additional snack. I lost 2.5 pounds and I felt great. I went VERY slowly back to regular foods (I actually kept the breakfast smoothie with protein added) and just had salad and protein for the other meals (for me, keeping at 1300 calories). I have now lost 5 pounds and think the cleanse really gave me a jump start. Cheers all. Wadham

114. Lisa says:

I was so happy to find your blog and everyone’s feedback! I started the detox this morning and was very impressed with the breakfast shake, however I could not find almond butter at Cub Foods…? I wonder if I could just crunch up a few almonds?

I’m trying to choke down the lunch shake as I type. (yuck!) I’m not usually a picky eater — I love my vegi’s — however, this is just too… too… “chunky”?? Maybe if I chilled it a bit, it would be more tolerable. I peeled the cucumber, seeded it, and peeled the green apple as well. I also didn’t add the1 Tbls coconut oil because I couldn’t find it in the store. Hope it doesn’t matter for the detox benefits.

Looking forward to the dinner shake!

115. Ruth says:

Can you Use spinach insead of kale. The Lunch smoothie was intolerabe, How can I make it more palatable?

116. Laurie says:

I’m happy to hear you are feeling so good! Adding stevia to the veggie smoothie sounds like a great idea!! I wish I thought of that!! Let me know how you do. :D

117. Jacqueline Davis says:

I’m on day three and I feel so energetic. I HAVEN’T WEIGHED YET. I’M WAITING UNTIL TOMORROW. i HAVE BEEN WORKING OUT ALONG WITH THIS DETOX AND I KNOW MY STOMACH IS FLATTER AND THE SCALE HAS MOVED. I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW MUCH WEIGHT I LOST. yOU WILL DO FINE IF YOU GET PASS THE LUNCH DRINK. I ADDED STEVIA TO MINE AND I WAS ABLE TO ENDURE IT BECAUSE I LOVE VEGGIES. GOOD LUCK.

118. Laurie says:

I never finished all the lunch smoothie. It filled two large glasses! Good question about the coconut oil. My grocery store only sold one brand, and not much of it.

119. Sue says:

I’m on day one. I just had lunch – yea it wasn’t great but I survived. I couldn’t finish it though. It filled up my blender. Has anyone not used the coconut oil? They were out of it so I just skipped it today.

120. Tara Franklin says:

Are we supposed to drink water on this detox? I haven’t drink anything today, aside from the green tea, the breakfast smoothie, and still working on the lunch smoothie. thanks!!

121. Tara Franklin says:

I am trying to choke down the lunch smoothie, as I type. MOF I got on the net to look for some inspiration to pull me through this. I thought it was going to be really tough with only 1 cup of tea because I drink at least 8 cups of coffee per day. I thought this was going to go well after having a surprisingly good breakfast smoothie! I was even blessed that RAchel Ray’s meal of the day, which always make me hungry, was not something that I drooled over. I will just have to make sure the avoid ABC’;s The Chew for the next 3 days! This lunch smoothie kinda tingles my toungue..anyone else? It is just awful!! I will look forward to having a better lunch smoothie this morning, as I didn’t have a green apple to add and my celery was looking a little icky, and i will use a smaller cucumber!!!!!

122. Ida says:

I am doing this diet also. I am small person, 5′ 118 pounds. So I am doing half the recipes for my drinks. there is no way I can drink all that is recommended. Also, I agree you need to add more Almond milk to make it more drinkable consistency.

123. Michelle N. says:

I’m on day three right now and my advice about the lunch smoothie is to reduce the amount of both cucumber and celery, keep everything else the same and add a little more almond milk, maybe 1/4 cup or so. I did that today and it is a much more drinkable consistency. I’m feeling pretty good, but I’m definitely looking foward to eating some real food again tomorrow!

124. Jan says:

Thank you for posting this. I am starting the cleanse today for many of the same reasons you did it. I was really skeptical about what that lunch smoothie would taste like. Thanks for the heads up – now I’ll know what to expect. Hopefully I will have a 5lb weight loss also, big Christmas Party on Saturday.

125. Roberta says:

I have a question. Should I peel the skin from the lime or use it all in my smoothie? Seems like the lime skin will make it very bitter.

126. Irene Derose says:

I just finished the 3 day cleanse and let me tell you how much I enjoyed it. Great flavor, great nutrition, and significant weight loss. loosing 5 lbs. and 1″ off of my waistline. I had so much energy. I give Doctor Oz “the thumbs” up for this one.

127. Laurie says:

I do wish you luck! For the second day’s lunch, I used one less celery and it did make a difference. It wasn’t delicious, but less yucky. Hang in there! Let me know how you do.

128. Mandy says:

this is my first day and I’m on lunch, and having a hard time choking down the first one. and there is 2 of these bad boys. breakfast is good. i was not hungry for lunch either, but its been 5 hours since i had breakfast so I am sure i needed to do lunch.

Comments are groovy!